Saturday, May 7, 2011

Inspiration and the Internet

Recently I was perusing, as I often do, Corey Doctrow's website, boingboing, when I came across this new video and internet community collaboration project hosted by Google Chrome.

Called "The Wilderness Downtown," it is an interactive film written and directed by Chris Milk (using Arcade Fire's "We Used To Wait"). It stands as an amazing example of the addition to the definition of what "community" is as explored on the internet.

I was both emotionally engaged and inspired by this project: I was moved by it.

This isn't the first time, but where this is a blog that I'm using to try and understand the intersection between narrative, mythology, and humanity, I find myself thinking a bit--for me--more clearly about the why.

I cannot recall the first time I was moved, inspired, and felt a sense of connectedness via projects on the web, but I thought I'd list a few here to give you a sense of what I mean...they're in no order...I'd suggest you take the time to actually watch or re-watch them before reading on:


MadV: his original video challenge in "One World" grew into YouTubes most responded to videos...EVER, spawing:  "The Message" and "You Are Not Alone" Which, in turn, inspired many honest replicas, responses, and compilations in tribute to the idea. One World is now--and has been for some time--a Facebook site from the creator of MadV

No comments:

Post a Comment